Historical Buildings and Local Attractions
CALLE REALOne of the most important attractions that Liberia boasts is what we call "Calle Real", which extends from North to South along Central Avenue or "Avenida Central". Calle Real is characterized by its very attractive constructions which resemble the old construction and are still located in their original antique quarters. The houses along Calle Real are constructed with materials like adobe and bahareque (daub and wattle).
THE CITY OF LIBERIA
Liberia is also known as the "The White City", this is because many years ago, its streets were elaborate with a white material called 'cascajo', which is a specific type of gravel. So, with its wide streets, antique buildings, and "bahareque" houses, Liberia makes up one of the principal cities of the Guanacaste province. It is a city that allows the combination of old structures, customs and traditions with the perfect addition of modernism and new innovations.
Liberia is a destination with a large variety of activities that can be enjoyed by children and adults alike. There are important national parks like the "Parque Nacional Volcán Rincón de la Vieja, among others
THE FORMER CITY HALL BUILDING
Constructed in the year 1850, this building can be found south of the Templo Católico del Cantón de Liberia. In the past, the halls of this building were used to celebrate dances for the most important dates; such as July 25th, September 15th, October 12th, December 31st, and many others. These parties boasted the attendance of the most distinguished families of the era. In this beautiful building, The General Tomás Guardia Gutiérrez, was received during his visit to Liberia. This is because before the building was city hall, it was the most appropriate house to celebrate social gatherings and important ceremonies.
HEADQUARTERS OF LIBERIA AND THE FORMER CITY HALL
The city of Liberia has had great strategic-military relevance for a long time; the reason is due to its proximity to the Nicaraguan border. An example of this has been the Campaña Nacional or the National Campaign of 1856-1857, the fight against the dictator Federico Tinoco in the first decade of the 20th century, and the military successes after the civil war of 1948.
The construction of the Cuartel (City Hall) started in the Ricardo Jiménez Oreamuno administration (1932-1936) and ended during the political negotiations of León Cortés Castro (1936-1940). The Cuartel possesses a fortified square which is fundamentally characterized by the military architecture; the work was designed by the architect José María Barrantes and the construction was directed by the engineer Max Effinger. Years later, the building was used as a jail, much later as the local command center and presently it is in a period of restoration so as to become, in time, the Museo Del Sabanero.
MARIO CAÑAS RUIZ PARK
The principal attraction in this park is its Quiosco, it's constructed from Wood and is one of the oldest of its kind registered in the entire country. Belonging to the vernacular architecture from the end of the 19th century to the beginning of the 20th century, as with the former city hall building, the Quiosco was an important place for meetings, social and cultural activities.
ESCUELA ASCENSIÓN ESQUIVEL IBARRA
This building was constructed in 1904 and the material utilized for its elaboration is "bahareque". It has two floors and an interior patio; the name was officially inaugurated.